IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. IFC is looking for a senior energy specialist, energy & resource efficiency.
Reporting to the MENA E&RE Regional Lead, the MENA Senior Energy Specialist (the “Specialist”) will support the Regional Lead in the responsibility and accountability for engaging with clients and delivering a focused E&RE work program with specific focus on power and utility sectors aligned with investment priorities. The Specialist will support the Regional Lead on Program Management for the MENA Power Advisory Program and provide expertise across the global E&RE team as needed, as well as to Investment departments on an as needed basis.
Duties and responsibilities include the following:
1. Strategic and operational planning, and Business Development
- Support the Regional Lead in managing the MENA Power Advisory Program, including directing and delivering various aspects of program implementation including schedule, budget and quality of deliverables;
- Support the Regional Lead in consultation with other senior staff across IFC to develop and execute a client and sector level engagement plan (regional and/or country level) for power and utility efficiency opportunities which is aligned with IFC business interests, and support the review of the plan for currency every 6 months;
- As part of the planning process and undertake market scoping efforts, review available technical documentation (which may also include policies and regulations) which informs IFC on potential issues which prevent the uptake of clean energy alternatives (e.g. grid integration studies, grid codes, transmission plans, renewable energy resource assessment information, etc) and recommend appropriate country/market level programs which will support private sector investment in clean energy solutions;
- Support the Regional Lead in identifying clients, opportunities and projects, market IFC services to clients, contribute to the design and negotiation of agreements with the clients and arrange for the resources to deliver the client services as agreed (in collaboration with Global and EMENA Technical Lead for Power, Regional Lead and any other relevant team member(s));
- As part of the business development stage, undertake technical scoping missions to client sites (or perform desktop reviews as appropriate) in order to assess opportunities where IFC advisory may contribute support; review technical and financial documentation which informs IFC on what services may be of value to the client (this may include drawings, reports, financial information, energy resource assessment and forecasting information etc);
- Support other regional teams of E&RE on as needed basis in his/her key areas of expertise;
- Participate in the development of E&RE’s strategy overall and in specific technical areas as appropriate.
2. Delivery for results
- Manage and execute planned interventions and market level efforts (e.g. improving renewable energy grid integration, reviewing and improving power purchase agreements and other relevant project documents) and deliver services as agreed with clients providing superb guidance and advice to clients from a technical perspective;
- Serve as client interface for selected clients during client services delivery. Support IFC investment teams in business development efforts for clients with strong potential, join project appraisal missions where relevant, or providing preliminary technical review of projects under investment consideration;
- Provide specific technical analyses, and assessments and make high caliber recommendations on client and market level interventions, including quality assuring consultant deliverables (e.g. grid code analyses, site selections, resource assessments, power factor improvement options, power output optimization, grid interconnect assessments etc) drawing on best in class international expertise including personal experience and by collating input from across the WBG pool of expertise.
- Support the Regional Lead in developing and maintaining relationships with key WBG stakeholders in MENA, in order to raise and maintain awareness of areas for collaboration;
- Support the design and delivery of training capacity building to clients and stakeholders where relevant.
3. Managing resources and demonstrating results
- Together with the Regional Lead, oversee and manage a multi-million dollar, multi-year budget in order to deliver results efficiently and effectively
- For respective client and sector level interventions, with support from the Regional Lead and the Global Technical Lead, procure/secure and lead relevant team members to deliver – this may include short term independent consultants with specific niche expertise, or may include internal team members from other regions.
- Support Regional Leads in donor relations by providing needed information for fundraising efforts.
- Provide necessary reports/updates on progress.
4. Capturing impacts and knowledge
- Work with Monitoring & Evaluation officers and E&RE teams to ensure that firm and sector level results are properly captured, reported and shared with the broader E&RE team globally.
- Contribute to corporate knowledge base and share effective approaches with E&RE team members and other IFC/WBG units;
- Participate in WBG communities of practice in order to benefit from and share information across global boundaries/teams across the WBG.