- Significantly increased targets for solar in Dubai mix, from 1% to 7% by 2020 and from 5% to 15% by 2030. DEWA also signaled its strong commitment to these targets and moved towards their implementation plan securing extension of the Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park, which has now a planned capacity of 3,000MW by 2030.
- Launched in March 2015 the Shams Dubai initiative allowing customers to install PV panels at their premises and connect to DEWA’s grid under a net metering scheme. First such scheme in GCC, supports a number of policy objectives:
- a. H.H. Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Dubai Smart City vision;
- b. Green Economy for Sustainable Development initiative;
- c. UAE agenda 2021 objectives to increases share of clean energy and improve air quality;
- d. DSCE ( Dubai Supreme Council of Energy) 2030 energy diversification strategy;
- e. DSCE carbon abatement strategy.
- The increased solar targets provide the industry certainty of a significant project pipeline in Dubai to 2030