- 2015 has been a defining year in DEWA’s accomplishments related to solar
- Increasing the target for renewable energy in the mix, from 1% to 7% by 2020 and from 5% to 15% by 2030, also extending the planned capacity at Solar Park to 3,000MW by 2030.
- Launching the Shams Dubai initiative, allowing customers to install solar PV at their premises connecting to DEWA’s grid under a net metering scheme.
- DEWA achievements are a game changer for the solar industry in the Middle East
- The continuous large scale IPP procurement and increased targets will ensure a significant pipeline of utility scale developments.
- The extremely competitive terms achieved in the PPA set a precedent that triggered increased interest towards solar by other regional utilities and Governments
- Shams Dubai fostered the development of rooftop solar in Dubai (~30 contractors enrolled, ~50 manufactured registered, a number of developers looking at the opportunity), and provides a blueprint for others to replicate in the region